Summer is just around the corner (only 1.5 weeks until school ends!) so here’s a tropical cupcake recipe to start it off well! (They’re vegan too!)
Tropical Cupcakes: (makes about 12)
For the cupcakes-
- 1 + 1/3 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
- 2 flax eggs
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp. coconut extract (imitation in fine if you can’t find the real deal)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup “buttermilk” (1 cup milk + 1 T vinegar)*
- A little over 1/2 cup sugar*
For the frosting-
- 1/2 block [soft] tofu
- 2 T coconut butter (or coconut extract, or both!)
- 1 container apple sauce
- 3 T butter/margarine* (I used vegan margarine)
- 3 T cream cheese* (I used tofu cream cheese)
- Splash of milk*
- Shredded coconut, for topping (optional)
*For vegan cupcakes, make sure you use soy/nut milk and vegan (sugar, butter, cream cheese).
Preheat oven to 350F. Mix dry ingredients in once bowl, and wet in another. Combine all ingredients together. Pour into a muffin tin-lined muffin pan, so each one is about 2/3 – 3/4 full. Put in oven for 20-30 min.
Put the all the frosting ingredients in a blender to mix. Then you have your frosting!
Frost cupcakes and then EAT!